Classroom Management/How It Will Work
- The classroom teacher will sign up and create log-ins using e-pals and will photocopy the Flat Stanley template for each student.
- Teachers will find a classroom on e-pals that is interested in completing a Flat Stanley Project. Ideally a partner classroom will be located outside of the United States however, if an interested classroom is unavailable a classroom in a different time zone would still fulfill the desires of the project. Classroom needs to be able to speak, read and write in English.
- Each student in the class will design/decorate their own Flat Stanley to be sent to the partner classroom via US Postal Service.
- Prior to sending off the Flat Stanley's, the classes will enjoy a special treat/party and say "Bon Voyage" to their Stanley's. The Flat Stanley's will be sent via the US Postal Service to the partner school.
- The partner school will send their completed paper Flat Stanley’s via the US Postal Service.
- Students in each classroom will be given a number (i.e., Student 1, Student 2, Student 3) prior to the distribution of the Flat Stanley's.
- Flat Stanley’s will be distributed to students in each class using the student numbers. So, Student 1 in Classroom A will be writing to Student 1 in Classroom B. Teachers will keep record of the paper Flat Stanley and the human caretaker using their first name.
- Every other week (roughly twice a month) all students will write an e-mail to their Flat Stanley caretaker via e-pals e-mail system. E-mail prompts will be provided for students to guide their writing. Students will focus on one topic per email, which will be coordinated with the partner teacher.
- Skype sessions will connect the classrooms in the beginning and the end of the 3 month project. Exact dates will be coordinated by the classroom teachers.
Possible e-mail questions:
What is the weather like today? (maybe include pictures of Flay Stanley’s outside in various weather)
How many people are in your family? Where is your family from? (attach pictures with family)
Do you celebrate a holiday this month? (attach pictures with Flat Stanley in holiday garb)
What is your favorite food? (Flat Stanley in cafeteria or at a fast food restaurant)
What does your school day look like? (Flat Stanley in favorite parts of the school)
Where do your parents’ work?